Thursday 30 June 2011

Writer's Blog - It's Such a Beautiful Day



I have just finished 'Through a Glass Clearly' by Isaac Asimov. This is a collection of four short stories. It truly lives up to the tag of Master of Science Fiction.

The forth stories are:

  1. It's Such a Beautiful Day

  2. Belief

  3. Breeds There a Man...?

  4. The C-Chute

All of these, except Belief, had a page on Wikipedia. It is a great short collection that I would thoroughly recommend. I think that Asimov is at his best when writing short stories. I have read one or two of his novels and got a little confused. - Though I was reading a trilogy in the wrong order!

It's Such a Beautiful Day describes a world where people no longer go outside instead they use a Door. This is like a cross between a teleporter, the Iconian Gateway and Stargate. It was first published in 1954 coming thirty-three years before TNG.

It may seem an odd thing to bring in Star Trek (again) but I just find it fascinating that these ideas which we think of as fairly modern have actually been around for a long time. It is often said that there are no new ideas.

The other stories in this set are also well worth a read but I think that It's Such a Beautiful Day is my favourite.

1 comment: